It’s no doubt that we are living in volatile times. Today’s guest goes as far as to call it ‘The New Abnormal!’ But one thing remains, we need leaders to step up and lead even in these ambiguous times in an open and vulnerable way.
Larry Robertson is an innovation advisor recognized for helping people discover value at the nexus of leadership, entrepreneurship (entrepreneurial thinking), and creativity.
He’s a popular columnist with Inc. Magazine, The Creativity Post, CEO World Magazine, SmartBrief on Leadership, and others, and the award-winning author of three books: Rebel Leadership: How to Thrive in Uncertain Times, The Language of Man, and A Deliberate Pause.
In 2021, he was also named a Fulbright Scholar, a rarity for non-academic professionals.
Let’s dive right in and learn from Larry how we as leaders need to face the music in uncertain times.
On this episode:
- What is an innovation advisor? How to help organizations marry leadership, entrepreneurship and creativity
- Leaders don’t always have to know the answer, but they DO have to learn to be open and vulnerable as well as creative
- Leaders need to be good at navigating and mitigating risk – Don’t back off of your responsibility when you get to the top
- How to lead within a ‘new abnormal’ – we can’t lead the same we always have, we need to ‘face the music’
- An interesting look at the commonality of leaders’ thoughts when they’re anonymous
- Find out the biggest thing holding leaders back and making employees leave and what we need to do differently
- Leadership, entrepreneurship, and creativity
- Making a 360 assessment of leadership
- We need to learn to lead in V.U.C.A. (volatile, uncertain, complex, ambiguous)
- Leaders’ private thoughts need to start linking with their actions
- The key is confidence – not certainty
- There is no such thing as a finish line in leadership
“If you’re the entrepreneur who only breaks new ground and never learns how to lead then the chances are the value you create isn’t going to last very long.” – Larry Robertson
“I call it our new abnormal, and if we try to lead in ways we did in the past… we’re setting ourselves us for failure.” – Larry Robertson
Connect with Larry on LinkedIn and Twitter. Be sure to visit https://lrspeaks.com/ to get a hold of even more amazing content.
Leadership Is Changing Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LeadershipIsChanging/
Leadership is Changing LinkedIn Page: