Can creating a connection happen on a whim? It may not work out that way at all. Preparation is still key. In this episode, Denis and Peter tackle the importance of storytelling and establishing a connection by using the right words, tones, and approach to effectively convey our message.
Peter Hopwood is a British Global Speaker Coach, Virtual Speaking Specialist & TEDx Coach, Storytelling for Sales Trainer, Worldwide Corporate Events MC & Speaker – lived in 7 countries, worked in 42, currently based in Split, Croatia – working worldwide on Zoom!
Tune in as Denis and Peter discuss the impact of storytelling as leaders navigate their way to success and better positioning.
In this episode:
- Peter discusses how he got into leadership and communication, his work as a speaker coach, and how leaders can connect with their audiences.
- Being animated and having gestures helps to show that you are more confident and in control.
- The way we speak and how we look will influence the way that people think about us.
- Peter emphasizes the importance of spontaneity in audio productions, which can be difficult to achieve with recorded messages.
- Curiosity is a key ingredient for a successful relationship with someone. When we are curious about someone, we are more likely to connect with them and feel comfortable around them.
- Leaders should use storytelling to engage their audiences and communicate their messages more effectively.
- Stories are an important way to connect with others, build credibility, and strengthen the connection between people.
- Good connectors are aware of their surroundings and manage to connect with others through body language, facial expressions, and other signals.
- Take advantage of gestures when speaking to provide emphasis
- How you present yourself matters in people’s minds
- Remain spontaneous even when doing recordings
- Stay curious and authentic when communicating with others
- Leaders should utilize the power of storytelling for effective communication
“It [effective speaking] is about the signals that you share, making sure that things are moving, there’s something changing, there’s something that’s going to stimulate the brain… Anything predictable is not good.” – Peter Hopwood
“When we know our intention, it’s so much easier to share it.” – Peter Hopwood
“It [creating connection] is something that we do constantly every day. So, why not say to ourselves, ‘I’m going to get really good at this. I can practice this every day.’ “ – Peter Hopwood
Leadership Is Changing Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/LeadershipIsChanging/
Leadership is Changing LinkedIn Page: